Pages

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Still with the Charlie

I am really thinking something out.  Karen, my therapist, says to just let it go and enjoy.  I on the other hand, feel the need to think and ponder and think some more. 

Since getting Charlie, I am no longer looking to fill a void.  A void I never realized I had.  I haven't thought about calling / finding a man.  No drinking at all.  Even thoughts of quiting smoking, even though I can still afford it. 

So maybe it is time to do as Karen says.  Just enjoy what is happening, and see what happens.  Charlie is still a puppy, and still requires a lot of care.  He will become less of a handful, but will constantly need me.  Just like TJ.

Speaking of TJ.  I am legally his guardian.  I now have control over his finances, and medical decisions for the rest of his life.  When I first got the news....a deep breathe of thank the gods.  Seconds later, I was in tears.  I shouldn't.  This should be different.  He should be able to do it on his own.  Then I shared this and E said the perfect thing back to me.  She said how much she is missing the "control" she has over her kids, now that they are teens.  She is missing a lot of what I get to experience.  It made me think.  I was better. 

So congrats to me on filling a void without destructive behaviour.  Congrats to me for getting guardianship.  Congrats to me for having an 18 year old that cuddles and snuggles, and still needs me every day.

No comments: