Pages

Saturday, November 04, 2006

New assignment

i did go to therapy yesterday.  i walked in hyper and unsettled, and it never changed the entire time i was there.  i felt spastic.  i felt out of control.  i dug my finger nails into my hand.  i cried and begged for help.  i forgot that they are just there for me to help myself.


After asking over and over how i was to handle this "season" but getting the same answer, which was what did i think i should or could do, we came up with a couple of ideas


1) Never leave the house or vehicle again, except for things like appointment.  Not very practical or economical.  Yes i could use Grocery Gateway for food, or order in.  Yes i could stay in my van to actually get cash at drive thru tellers.  Yes i could only have my iPod playing when i was out of the house.  All options but like i said, not very practical or economical. 


2) Just fight my way through it.  Just block out how i have been feeling because it is weak of me to cry, and blubber, and not be able to do anything like go get groceries.  Just keep burying how i am feeling and deal with it on the other side.  Yeah, ok.  Like that is actually going to work.  Sure i could drink or self medicate myself all the way past the new year, but that would be no go for either the MIT or i.  Plus, why would i set myself up to fail like that


3) Ask for help.  Actually ask people i know that i know care for me to help me.  Ask people to go shopping with me, so that i am not doing it alone.  Ask people if i can just chat with them on the cell phone while i am shopping.  Ask people to drive me places.  Not just any people, but friends. 


So i chose option number 3.  And i hate it.  i feel so weak and vulnerable.  i feel like such a suck.  i feel like i should be "over it" and be able to do what needs to be done.  i could hear E's voice in my head while discussing this option.  "Would you think I was weak if i asked for help?"  "Would you think less of me it I was crying?".  i get that i hold myself to a higher standard than i expect for anyone else.  i get that i think i should be the one that is always there for others, and that i am strong.  i am finding i am not as strong as i think i need to be.  This is so hard for me.  i feel like i should be stronger and more able to handle it all.  Why can't i just be the one that others ask for help? 


So i asked for help.  i asked my Mom if she would be available to sometimes take me to go shopping so i wouldn't have to drive and didn't have to be alone sometimes.  i called and asked E if she would be ok with me asking her for help, and if she thought any less of me for doing so.  i talked to L and man, did i get an earful. 


She gave me a different way of looking at asking for help.  She said that maybe i would be making others happy by asking and letting them help me.  That i could be providing them a service by letting them help me.  That by asking friends for help, i was doing it for them, and not for myself. 


i'd like to say i could accept that other way of thinking, but then i am not allowing myself to help myself.  i am making it about others (which i could easily wrap my head around) and not myself, and actually avoid the idea that i am human and actually can have weak moments and actually require assistance from others.  This is something i do have to learn.  This is something i do have to embrace about myself.  It is going to be hard and i am not going to always like it, and i know i am going to learn this kicking and screaming.  i also know that it will not kill me to do this.  Heck, it might actually help me.


Ok, yes it will help me.  Crying doesn't make me weak.  Grieving 6 months after Mike's death is not to long.  Being human isn't a bad thing.  Letting myself feel things isn't a bad thing. 


(yes this is me trying to convince myself)


Powered by Qumana


No comments: